I'm not an expert, but it looks fairly straightforward. Lua strings
can contain embedded "\0"s so I use them to transmit binary data
between C and Lua, and also Lua’s pattern matching can be quite
powerful for processing binary strings. Once you understand using the
"stack" to communicate different types of value between C and Lua,
what you want to do (jumping between C and Lua) should be easy. Start
at http://www.lua.org/pil/24.html

Vaughan

PS 'Lua' is Portuguese for 'moon', so is not all caps...