If I wanted to do this myself, I'd probably either modify the source code
directly or maybe implement a pre-processor on the text reader to modify the
Lua source prior to giving it to the parser.

But this is not really the point - as Roberto said, we know how to do this,
the issue is weather not how. This feature is intended to improve (my view)
the implementation of reusable libraries. Libraries are only reusable if
they target the standard language.