On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:
> It seems reasonable to me, though it requires careful API design and I
> don't know of any good examples to follow. (Surely there are some!)

We'd need to dredge the memory of others, because Google is not being
forthcoming on this one...  though the primary motivation is wrapping
up _common_ patterns.  Perhaps the more exotic operations are just not
as useful in a general programming context.  Also, it's possible to
come up with a set of basic operations from which all others can be
derived, which is mathematically satisfying, but might not always
coincide with the toolset people want to use ;)