I've definitely been thinking in terms of coroutine or multi-universe (e.g., luaproc) pipes and wanting a syntax that makes them easy to set up.

While I appreciate functional programming, I'm finding myself much more interested in semi-declarative imperative programming such as pipes of coroutines, reactive programming, etc.. The functional community has done more to explore these venues but I think they are probably applicable to the imperative world as well (where time and state are not difficult concepts).

Mark