Mark Hamburg wrote:
> I would presume that the message send would optimize as well as
> any message send -- though it's more unique because the message
> is "unique" to the call.

The receiver can only be specialized after the lookup of the
variant (!) message. And the lookup is variant for each array
element, too. There's no way the compiler can infer (or should
predict) that 'array' only contains homogeneous objects.

It *does* specialize to the first receiver it hits while
recording. But if you call the same function with different
messages and/or arrays which contain different object types, it
needs to specialize to each receiver. This creates a binary
decision tree *inside* the loop.

So the above abstraction effectively creates a single megamorphic
dispatch point, i.e. one or more unpredictable branches. That's
not going to be fast, no matter what I come up with. Compilers
don't like it, CPUs don't like it.

> Would one be better off using code generation to build something
> fitting the obj:msg( ... ) pattern?

Definitely. Because 'msg' is a string constant and the receiver is
usually the same. This makes specialization easy.

> It just seems like the JIT logic should allow one to avoid
> building custom functions via string manipulation and
> loadstring. Or am I expecting too much of a tracing JIT?

Yes and no. Yes, you can avoid this in most cases. But the shown
abstraction has one indirection level the compiler cannot
reasonably be expected to specialize away on its own. The 'hint'
you see in your mind when looking at the code is just not present
in the code.

Equivalent code in C++ would probably use templates. Not just
because the core languages lacks the expressiveness. But also
because it explicitly tells the compiler how to create specialized
copies of the code for each message.

> I was also figuring that even without type information, there
> ought to be a win in knowing how many arguments will be passed
> to each call -- though here again code generation could also be
> used if need be.

Yes, but the vararg issue is mostly orthogonal to the dispatch
issue.

--Mike