2009/11/25 steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Matthew Wild <mwild1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nice. I'd be happy to write one about my experiences developing
>> Prosody, which has been an interesting journey for me, right from
>> start when I had "You can't use Lua for *that*!" from every person I
>> spoke to about it. It was the doubt of those people that kept me
>> going, and now Prosody is a large (for Lua) codebase, and competitive
>> with alternative XMPP servers written in Java, erlang, and all the
>> other "proper" server-side languages. Quite simply, Lua rocks :)
>
> I would dig to publish such an article, a story from the 'trenches'.
>
> Another article idea would be large-scale Lua, something about the
> care and tools needed to do big projects (> 30Kloc) in Lua.

We've gone from 0 to ~25K lines in 12 months, including plugins, etc.

> And on the other end of the scale, fitting Lua into 32K RAM!

Speaking of RAM, that would be another interesting article. Prosody is
a long-running server, and has been victim of a few memory "leaks"
(it's quite easy in a large app to accidentally hold references to
stuff and forget about it). We've developed a suite of tools for
debugging memory usage in Lua, and plan to release when they're ready
for production. Worked great for us, this Prosody release is the best
yet :)

Matthew