In that particular case, it probably will, since the initial tbl would have been initialized with exactly enough space to hold its original contents (Due to the compiler analyzing the initialization code and counting hash-versus-array parts), and so assigning the new member will cause it to be re-allocated (and thusly "optimized").

Last time I adventured into this bit of the lua code, lua will only do such re-balancing when it needs to grow either the hash or array part (I'm not sure if GC plays into this, i.e. whether a table with lots of free space would be re-balanced, I dont /think/ it does, but at the time I was primarily concerned with table creation so GC didn't really factor into it).

Daniel.