Jacques Chester wrote:
I read a few years back that the number of artificial languages
has already surpassed the number of natural languages. Assuming
But shouldn't you really be counting the number of artificial languages that are in common use?
Because that is what you are comparing with for natural languages.

For example Cornish is a dead language and doesn't count towards the total of natural languages. No one knows how to speak it any more. I read somewhere that the people that study languages regard a language as effectively dead if the population speaking that language drops below a few thousand (I think it was 10,000) people. I guess they must make exceptions for these rain forest tribes that have small populations but a distinct language of their own.

Stephen