On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Mike Pall wrote:

> It's almost midnight on Halloween here. This is the perfect time
> to release long-awaited, almost mythical open source software ... ;-)
>
> Yes, here it is: the first public release of LuaJIT 2.0!

Wow, cool. I tried it out with an LPEG-based program, not expecting much
improvement since the code is heavy on IO and calls back and forth between
C and Lua a lot.

When run with an empty input file (and the -n option to stop it
re-downloading the RIR stats files) the program runs in about 4s with lua
and 2.5s with luajit2 (37% faster). The bulk of this time is a fairly
tight loop which it looks like LJ handles well.

When run with a 900MB input file, lua runs in about 23s and luajit2 in
about 17s (25% faster). This is remarkable, since the loop is not
JIT-friendly, and it hits an NYI case.

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/conf/exim/sbin/bogons
(requires LPEG tweaks from http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2009-10/msg01068.html)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.