I was not trying to say that JET is the fastest JVM around. It would
be unethical and false.

My point was: different JVMs have different weak and strong sides, so
they can show different performance boost for different applications.
To make things more complicated: for language like Java you should
consider not only optimization differences (e.g. approaches to loop
versioning, to global optimizations), code generation differences
(e.g. SSE2 vs. FPU, or different implementations of operations with
"long" type), but also differences in runtime support (different
approach to GC, special means to optimize reflection etc.).

You just can't say that "HS performance" is equal to "Java performace".

Nevertheless all this is irrelevant to the whole topic of Lua JIT.
Sorry for the disturbance, I should have waited for the actual sample
for benchmarking before saying anything.

/* BTW, Krause uses not arithmetic, but _geometric_ mean. Also it
measures ratio not between HS and JET, but between X and the fastest
competitor for each test.
So "unduly large" is not very large. I did some finger-math to exclude
it: HS score will be ~1.35226.
But this is also irrelevant, we are not on Java lovers list ;-)
If you would like to continue this argument, feel free to contact me directly.
*/

Regards,
--
e.v.e