Lua is the first ever language I've learned because I really wanted it, not because of study or work. So I understand what you say :)

I have started a project for those who want to migrate from PHP to Lua, it is called Nutria:
http://gitorious.org/nutria
http://gitorious.org/nutria/pages/Home

Blessings!