> In my experience: numbers, strings, and boolean values aren't eligible
> for collection in this manner:

It's quite natural: instead of "referenced" think about a key as
"reproducible".  I can reconstruct numbers, booleans and strings
*identically* from thin air at any time.  This does not hold for other
collectable types.  For weak valued tables there is a nice analogy:
these can be thought of as functions.  If you cannot reproduce a
certain input, it's pointless to keep the output.

Bye,
Wim