I would recommend to consider metalua
and do the source level translation rather than bytecode translation
mainly because I think doing byte code translation would lead to need to
emulate garbage collection
idioms that are specific to lua (or so I think)

plus, of course, for users of your final tool would probably like to
'limit' the types of APIs
that get translated.

Vlad

--