I believe that the following two excerpts from the the Lua 5.1
reference manual mean that strings, booleans, and numbers are always
strongly referenced, even in situations where other types would be
weak referenced (as in weak tables).

2.10.2 - "In other words, if the only references to an object are weak
references, then the garbage collector will collect this object."
2.2(.0) - "Tables, functions, threads, and (full) userdata values are objects"