Tony Finch wrote:
[...]
The solution is generally for TLDs to implement a character set policy.
For example, .at only allows these non-ascii characters in domain names:
ä ü ö ë à á â è é ê ì í î ï ò ó ô ù ú û ý ÿ ã å æ ç ð ñ õ ø œ š þ ž

Interestingly, after posting my message I tried resolving the addresses; and it turns out that www.google.com and www.𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐠𝐥𝐞.com both appear to resolve to the same address... as does www.google.𝐜𝐨𝐦. (Using the bold versions of the characters here to make them visible --- these are all from U+1D400 MATHEMATICAL BOLD.) So it certainly looks like something is remapping at least some letter-like glyphs to actual ASCII. I don't know whether that's my Linux system or part of DNS.

│
│ --- Conway's Game Of Life, in one line of APL