On Oct 17, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Yuri Takhteyev wrote:

By contrast, adding captcha stopped all spam. When spammers see
captcha, they know to not waste their time (and yours!) trying to
figure out how to spam your site.

Perhaps the same is true of would-be users...

I personally much prefer Ned's, hmm, humanistic approach to the problem:

"Rather than stopping bots by having people identify themselves, we can stop the bots by making it difficult for them to make a successful post, or by having them inadvertently identify themselves as bots. This removes the burden from people, and leaves the comment form free of visible anti-spam measures."