As an interim solution, Launchpad is open-source. We could use the source code from that.

Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 P7:56
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.lua.general
Subject: Re: LuaForge is down and will be for some time

I'm a web developer, I do my living remotelly :), In short: a telecommuter. The fundamental rock for me is communication+reliability, if I don't have this, my projects simply fail and don't talk about bills... I have learned a lot of this from Drupal and his Community, it is a leading Open Source CMS and Web Development Framework. You can do things like groups.drupal.org or openatrium.com :D
So... we can build a new LuaHub with Lua, but when? do we really have all the resources(time+money+volunteers) to make it possible and reliable? The problem is that current LuaForge is unmaintainable right?, so... Why do not temporarily use *working* stuff?
My hope on this is to awake participation from community, what about Perl, RoR or Python solutions? I'm sure there are other alternatives which may fit what *we*(community) need according to the *available resources*.

First question: How much are _exactly_ the available resources for next 12 months? hosting? human resources?
Second question: How much is the demand? web stats? downloads? common feature requests?

Got it?

We need to answer this for a serious project, so we can propose a real solution. Call it sustainable, reliable, cost-effective, viable, ...

Blessings!