I'm not going to argue about the benefits of C++ vs Lua for large applications.
I have enough experience with C++ to realize how much its ideology is oriented to catching errors at compile time (though at the price of long compile times), and I've learned to use it. I've learned to design code so that it is hard to use incorrectly and easy to use correctly - C++ gives you tools for that.
Maybe I'm not experienced enough with Lua to do the same.
--Ivan