Tobias Kieslich wrote:
[...]
That aaplication
server itself speaks HTTP of cause and does the actual parsing and
routing(url to entry point) etc. There are lots of benefits to have a
tightly coupled Http server with your application.

Well, you say so, but I've very rarely seen such a thing --- while high level application protocols for efficient communication between the app server and the web server are becoming more and more common. JK for servlets, LiteSpeed for Ruby, WSGI for Python, our very own WSAPI for Lua, and about a *dozen* of the things in Perl...

I recently did a project using Java, GWT and servlets (a very nice programming environment for web apps, BTW). The servlet container I eventually used is called Winstone, and it's connected to my web server, lighttpd, via proxying. It all works fine. However... both the Winstone documentation *and* the lighttpd documentation recommended using mod_jk rather than proxying, because it's got less overhead, is faster, allows the servlet engine to be *more* tightly coupled to the web server, and is easier to set up!

(Alas, I had to go for a traditional proxied approach because lighttpd's mod_jk hasn't reached Debian yet. But that's another complaint.)

│
│ "They laughed at Newton. They laughed at Einstein. Of course, they
│ also laughed at Bozo the Clown." --- Carl Sagan