> I always wonder why people want to be "isolated" from HTTP: what's the
> benefit of ignoring the most fundamental protocol a web application is
> supposed to deal with? A bit like wanting to access a relational database,
> but not wanting to bother with SQL.

I think it's kinda the other way around, where HTTP represents a
specific database api, with SQL 'isolating' the implementation
specifics from the programmer, and lets him use SQL anyway. As
databases & SQL is not something i find interesting, this may be
incorrect, but it's how i've understood it =p