Hi:

You might want to try implementing the LUA VM in Haskell, since
Haskell was used to implement Perl 6.

Parsers have a lot of abstraction levels which a pure functional
language excels at.

If you insist on using the .NET platform, you might want to chose F#
over C#.

Oh!

On re-reading your post, it seems like you want to write a language
that runs on the LUA VM.

Hmmm!

>I really like the idea of a language being built up from a small core which
>can be easily implemented anywhere it is not supported.

You are asking for a small as possible VM and as small as possible
language kernel, I believe.

Just recently there was an O/S written for embedded applications that
was proven correct.
Written in a functional style?
Implemented in a functional language?

You might want to look into that.