Mea culpa!

First, thank you for your response. Second, your diagnosis was exactly correct -- making the change you suggested fixed the problem immediately. Third, you were also right that the code I sent was not the code that generated the problem I was asking about -- I had two versions I was working with, and I sent the wrong one. However, your suggestion did resolve the issue, and now the test method runs just fine. Hopefully, this will resolve the problem I am experiencing in my production code.

Thank you again,

Chris

Peter Cawley wrote:
That code shouldn't work with the latest version of Lua (5.1).
Specifically, the line:
for k,v in self do n[k] = v end
Uses a feature which was deprecated in 5.0, and has been removed in
5.1, and hence when executed, that line should be giving you this
error:
line 14: attempt to call a table value
A version of that line changed to be compatible with Lua 5.1 is:
for k,v in pairs(self) do n[k] = v end
If instead of changing it, you commented out that line, then you would
get the error message which you stated:
line 80: attempt to call method 'pushright' (a nil value)

Also, the line numbers in your error message do not correlate with the
source file which you included - line 46 does not call pushright, nor
is it part of the test function.