On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Jim Jennings wrote:
> I would love to see Lua 5.2 adopt your suggestion of having 'require'
> place the loaded module table into the right place.

In some module systems, certain modules utilize the import mechanism
to apply a special side-effect into the caller.  A Perl style way of
writing

  module(..., package.strict)

would be

  module(...)
  import "strict"   -- i.e. require "strict" : __import()

Here, *every* instance of "import 'strict'" would apply a side-effect
into its caller environment, unlike "require 'strict'" in Lua 5.1
which permits no side-effects after its first call.