On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Wesley Smith <wesley.hoke@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have an example?  From my perspective, I feel that Lua itself
> is flexible enough to elegantly handle awkward cases.

I was probably thinking of my attempts to do LuaSocket using the
builtin LuaRocks builder. You end up with two .sos that have to be
copied to different places (socket/core etc).  But then this mode of
LuaRocks is purely declarative, so this is awkward. If you have
callbacks & the ability to integrate procedural Lua code, well then
you _can_ do anything ;)

GNU make is a remarkably feature-full program with some truly ugly
syntax. Anything that lets us use more Lua is to be welcomed.

A critical thing for a new build engine is size. If it's nice &
compact, then one can package it with a larger application without
bothering the poor downloader to go hunt for the build engine first.
120K for Luamake is a good size.

steve d.