Today, I find projects like Nginx and Lighttpd more interesting.
I wish there was a Lua module for Nginx ...

Right on. Personally, I'm very interested in the basic design of Nginx, and in building a very minimalist, Lua WSAPI-focused implementation of that basic style of architecture. But sadly, my C skill level is slowing me down on the path to realizing it.

(I'm not content with using FCGI or an Nginx module, and it's this same obsessiveness, btw, that drew me into Lua.)