> It could be used i.e. with servers, where currently Lua states need either
> to be recreated from scratch for each query, or carefully restored to known
> "clean" state after finishing a query.

Yep, exactly what I need

> Maybe code from Lanes can be used to copy the entries of the template state.
> I should do some speed tests on that (or do the code and let _you_ run the
> speed tests).  ;)

Sure, I would happily test it :)

P.S. I also asked the same question on the stackoverflow [1] and got
an interesting reply where the user "ijprest" recommended me to have a
look at LuaJIT(for faster startups) and Rings(for cloning states from
within Lua)

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1383768/cloning-lua-state/1383847
--
Best regards, Pavel