Thanks for this hint, Steve.

Particularly the solution of LuaGnome looks interesting. Having the documentation in one header file side by side is indeed what I am looking for. I wonder if it is possible to hide Doxygen-specific and Lua-specific documentation from each other.

When I look at http://lua-gtk.luaforge.net/reference/modules/src/gnome/boxed.c.html#lg_get_boxed_value

and compare it with the source in
http://luaforge.net/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/lua-gtk/src/gnome/boxed.c?rev=1.2;cvsroot=lua-gtk

it looks like both blocks can reside in the very same Doxygen documentation block. The problems I see here, are: (1) How to distinguish between blocks which are entirely on the C++ side and those which are parsed by SWIG? Is that possible? (2) How to distinguish differnt parameter settings within C++ and Lua, for example something like
/**
\return error value
\param s    input string
\param some_output    output pointer
*/
int foo(std::string s, int * some_output)

in C++ vs.

/**
\luaparam mystring    input string
\return error value
\return some integer output
*/
(int,int) foo(mystring)

in Lua?

(3) Is it possible to use some Doxygen-alike commands, for example I would need to setup the "module" name manually as it looks like from LuaGnome.

Any ideas? Do you know about more references and download pages on such modified LuaDocs?

Thanks!
Sebastian