>> The garbage collector runs when the Lua state is closed. The
>> standard Lua
>> interpreter closes its Lua state before exiting. The garbage
>> collector does
>> not run if the process terminates abnormaly or via an explicit call
>> to os.exit.

>To me this suggests that the average app should not close the Lua
>state -- who wants to wait for GC when your user is trying to quit?

I would agree if one only allocates blocks of memory and not handles to external things like database connections, COM objects, etc.  The OS will close some things like file handles and network sockets.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential or proprietary to K&L Microwave, Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.