On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Jerome wrote:
> I thought the normal way to do that from Lua was to put nil in a table
> constructor (ie. local t = {nil,nil,nil,nil,nil} would be equivalent
> to lua_createtable(L, 5, 0)), but that's not mentionned on your page.
> I was certain that lhf posted several times about that pseudo-feature,
> but now I can't find any of these threads in the mailing list archive,
> so I may be wrong.

Yes, that would be better, and I'll mention it (though still involves
an unnecessary loadnil/setlist, which the bytecode hack solution
avoids):

$ echo 'local t = {nil,nil,nil,nil,nil}' | luac -p -l -
main <stdin:0,0> (4 instructions, 16 bytes at 0x680df8)
0+ params, 6 slots, 0 upvalues, 1 local, 0 constants, 0 functions
        1       [1]     NEWTABLE        0 5 0
        2       [1]     LOADNIL         1 5
        3       [1]     SETLIST         0 5 1   ; 1
        4       [1]     RETURN          0 1