Thomas Harning Jr. wrote:
[snip]
The replacement format would be:

 Lua -> WIN  : (some charset, ex UTF-8) => Wide
 WIN -> Lua  : wide => (some charset, ex UTF-8)

... any other ideas?

Yeah, in theory the Lua side should just see UTF-8 for all platforms and be done with it. I've done some Lua file handling code in such a way myself.

Yet I think it is not so simple if you want to target broad compatibility; look at some of the Cygwin's discussions this past few weeks and see the various charset issues still being worked out for Cygwin 1.7. A limited feature set (like "UTF-8 or the highway") would be easier to implement than what they are doing on Cygwin.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)