On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Luiz Henrique de
Figueiredo<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> I don't want to launch an off-topic discussion on license religion, but
> I think that you don't need to release code as GPL simply because it
> links to GPL code, if you don't include the GPL code in your package.

The wikipedia quick-info box for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL
states "Linking from code with a different license: No", which would
imply that you cannot link non-GPL code against GPL code. I'm sure
that the full legalese of the license thus states that derivative
works of GPL code must themselves be GPL and that linking against
creates a derivative work.