Just three additional remarks on this topic

(1) Extension

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Bertrand Mansion<lua@mamasam.net> wrote:
> Lua is already available in MediaWiki:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lua
>
> But I think it is still experimental.
> I had a look at this code for my Try Lua! experiment.

Yes, but being just an extension and being enabled by default on Wikipedia
makes a big difference.

(2) Link to the Blog, I've missed to give
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2009/06/on-templates-and-programming-languages/

(3) Strangely the biggest one point which seems to block
selecting Lua, is the compatibility issue for small MediaWiki
installations on shared hosting sites. The MediaWiki techs
would like to have a fallback for sites, where installing
a binary is impossible, so something like a Lua-Interpreter
written in PHP would be required. Now, that's an ugly
project! But perhaps someone already has explored this
path?

Regards,
Peter