It is interesting that I was just about to start reading the Weak Tables
section of PiL.  I will now do so with greater enthusiasm!

The downside of making the ID scheme transparent is that I'd probably
need to implement it for the dozen or so objects that are permanent
members of the game (and thus pose no danger of stale references), and
that might be a fair bit of coding.  I want to present a consistent
interface for all these objects, so all need to be handled in the same
manner.

I think that weak tables will solve the issue of creating an excessive
number of objects very nicely.

Chris