I think that would be faster to store the reference to the function using lua_rawset at LUA_GLOBALSINDEX, and then, when needed, use lua_rawgeti (as you suggested) to retrieve the reference to the function, right?

----- Mensagem original ----
De: Peter Cawley <lua@corsix.org>
Para: Lua list <lua@bazar2.conectiva.com.br>
Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 25 de Junho de 2009 8:38:06
Assunto: Re: Event callbacks

Normally you will have two situations - registering a callback
function, and calling a callback function.

The registering function will generally take a function argument, and
store it somewhere. If the registering function is global, then one
approach is to use luaL_ref with the registry table. If the
registering function is on a userdata, then luaL_ref on the userdata
environment may be more appropriate. The integer return value of
luaL_ref is then remembered (by your C code) for later.

Calling a callback then involves calling lua_rawgeti with value
previously return by luaL_ref.

C code cannot hold a direct reference to the callback function, as the
Lua GC would not know about it, and thus might GC the function while
you hold a reference to it. Hence the standard approach is to put the
callback function in a table (like luaL_ref does) and then use
lua_rawgeti to quickly get it out of the table again.