In my opinion (for what little it is worth) it would be useful if the Lua core kept a count of the total number of elements in a table. Then it could compare the "array count" with the "true count".

Although Lua maintains the "user illusion" that all possible keys exist, but some reference null values, in reality it must be possible for the table handling code to determine if it is changing a null value to non-null or a non-null value to null. So it should be able to maintain the total number of non-null elements by incrementing or decrementing a counter during lua_settable operations.

I guess we are now going to be regaled with schemes for doing this using metamethods, but these must be pretty inefficient compared to doing it in the core. Such an innovation would not need to be an obvious or breaking change: just have a new library function which recovers the "true count" and then metamethods can be used to replace the # operator with this, or raise an error if the two counts do not match. Of course small tables would need to be a little larger to accommodate the counter and a policy would be needed on overflow.

Incidentally in my own take on the "standard object-oriented table library" I introduced a "count" method - this takes an optional limit number so tab:count(1) determines if the table has at least 1 element etc. This avoids a complete table traversal when unnecessary (for example if just determining if the table is empty).