That's true that the '=' and <table: 0x.....> may be disturbing when you start to learn Lua.
However I agree that changing the default behavior is even worse ! At the end you will confuse the user at some point.
We could propose to keep the '=' as in the standard Lua shell and add another "modifier" (let's say ':') to use the table dumper.
    >t = {"hello"}
    >=t
    table: 0xcb1400
    >:t