On Jun 11, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

I should probably just get over it (one way or the other).

My real key wishes for the next version of Lua probably center around easier data privacy and encapsulation through things like keys that are guaranteed to be skipped by the pairs iterator.

Well, that and method currying (obj:method not followed by a parameter list yields a function that calls method on object) and support for obj:[ method ]() as a way to call a dynamically identified method on an object. I should go try writing a patch for the latter since I think it's a relatively isolated change to syntax and code generation.

Unlike some who rebel against the colon syntax, I think we should just embrace it as the standard way to do message sends in Lua.

Mark