How would this interact with pairs/next? The current behaviour on
generic for loop iterators is to use nil to indicate both the start of
iteration (nil as the initial key) and end of table (nil to break the
for). If nil becomes a valid key, then both of these things need to be
addressed in order for the [nil]=value pair of a table to be iterated
over.