Hans van der Meer wrote:
In the message from Jim Whitehead II jnwhiteh@gmail.com <mailto:jnwhiteh@gmail.com>:

I examined the LuaFiveTwo page mentioned above and saw the discussion on the implementation of bitmaps:

some form of bit operations. (We are not very happy with any known implementation. Maybe just incorporate bitlib?)

As I did a bitmap implementation, I hereby add its html-docs of this for what it is worth in the discussion. Interested parties can find the code here (use it with due credit): http://staff.science.uva.nl/~hansm/publications.html <http://staff.science.uva.nl/%7Ehansm/publications.html>

Hans van der Meer

My first thought when I read 'bitmaps' was Win32 bitmaps, after which I read this and it seems to be some sort of massive array of bits which can be manipulated? Oh wait, this is a wrapping of a number handled as an object /w metamethods, correct? If it is then this is a new take on the problem I hadn't considered at all! Nice to see a new take on the problem, but I'd be annoyed at using such an interface when I want to just do i = i << 1 and then use i for some other calculation.

Roberto said they (inner Lua dev group) weren't happy with any known implementation of bitwise operators, it would be helpful to know what they are not pleased with so we may propose alternate solutions/implementations.