> L isn't thread safe, so there are no threads involved, right?

Yes, this is all with main thread events coming from the cocoa event
dispatcher or gtk depending on platform although there are some
complicating factors such as gui modules and schedulers that call in
to coroutines.

What you say is quite valid and has helped me think through some
design issues.  I'm going to take a hard look at some of my code that
could possible use the notion of a scripting context to better manage
this top-level lua_State issue in a portable fashion, so thanks for
the help.

wes