On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 23:22 +0100, Rob Kendrick wrote:
> >   http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/lua.org
> >   It's not just you! http://lua.org looks down from here.
> Unfortunately, the routing just outside our network wasn't working from
> at least some locations.  There has been a fibre break in the next
> city across, but we don't know yet if that was related.
> Apologies for the downtime.  Should all be back now.

We have finally been given a reason by our ISP.

Unfortunately someone in the US broke the internet for most of the world
for about 30m. (lua.org is hosted in the UK, but the failure was so
widespread that it's unlikely any given host elsewhere would have
survived the hiccough unscathed)

You have to love RIP/BGP. It's *so* fragile.

Our ISP has apologised for taking that long to get stuff back online,
but unfortunately other people's ISPs could also have been broken for
longer than ours was, resulting in an apparent site failure for longer
than the 30-45m which it took for our ISP to get things back online.

Again, apologies for the downtime, nothing I could have done about it.

Regards,

Daniel.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 2BC8 4016 2068 7895