While we are talking about language, it seems that erlang and K/Q(from KDB+) have an interesting approach about parallelism. You can kind of just specify the number of threads(usually matching the number of cores) on launching the session and let the runtime determine how to parallize them.

It may not beat the hand coded algorithm but based on the benchmark I have read, it is pretty effective.