Olivier Hamel wrote:
David Manura wrote:
On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Philippe Lhoste wrote:
On 15/05/2009 14:14, Olivier Hamel wrote:
[snip]
Metalua resorts instead to writing its own bytecode generator.

[1] http://lua-users.org/wiki/OptimisationCodingTips
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_reduction
[3] http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Line-Control.html
I stand corrected. :) Thanks for the info, I'd've thought it be the other way around really. I'm not too sure having it emit bytecode is a good idea since it breaks the second you move the byte code around.

Not all optimizations can be done using source-to-source translation. We might want to bypass the Lua locals allocator, for example. Good or bad (or complications galore) I dunno, but it's a cute academic exercise. Still, a user might want the result in source form, so I think there is a place for either kinds of output.

When I read this: "since it breaks the second you move the byte code around." It's so vague, what does it mean anyway, exactly?

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)