On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> > of > optimized code for arithmetic
expressions. The code is for an old
> version of Lua, but the same ideas can be just as easily implemented
> with metamethods. (I have code for this somewhere. I can dig it if there
> is interest.)

That would certainly be of interest to me ;)

The state of the art is fascinating. Although, this was an exercise in
manipulation of a representation.  I don't have particular need for a
machine that knows calculus, but I was curious to see how Lua would do
it, and of course (no suprise) it does fine.  (I occaisionally do have
need for a machine that knows how to integrate, but that's just
because my mathematics has evaporated because of too much time
programming)

steve d.