--- On Mon, 4/27/09, Louis Mamakos <louie@transsys.com> wrote:

> There are other protocols and applications other than HTTP
> to web servers ...
The OP was talking about web service etc.

> Using an alternative to select(), like kqueue() is a huge
> win because you don't
> have to continually pass an indication of interest back and
> forth across the
> kernel system call interface for each invocation.  A
> small change like this can
> avoid a lot of complexity in your system in managing
> multiple instances of
> an application.

may be, may be not. I found writing binding for libevent to be much more complex than copas using standard select() and I faintly remembered that memory usage per-connection seems to be larger too.

Should I really need to manage such a large number of connections, I would opt for erlang as that seems to be designed from the outset for this kind of application.