On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Martin C. Martin
<martin@martincmartin.com> wrote:
> For an OO style while accessing fields is more common than globals, the
> environment option seems cleaner than the standard : option.  Are there any
> down sides that I'm missing?

"clean" is such a loaded term.

Obviously, your suggestion makes for an ambiguous syntax. Java doesn't
have this problem, because there is no global scope - only an object
scope. An additional issue in Lua, is that the same function may have
different roles in different situations (Some times as a member
function - some times not). I'm sure this will further complicate
matters/add to the ambiguity.

>From a technical viewpoint, I would venture to guess that it would
bare the cost of an extra lookup, which impacts performance.

--
troels