Okay, that makes more sense.  I guess I should have read the lua_load
section as well. my excuse is that I'm in the middle of something else
here :)

Having said that, I still fail to know how using a lua_Reader can help
me store some local variables in the state, and still think the
documentation is a little confusing/lacking.

I've just found a little bit of information in PiL about readers, but
not much.