Mike Pall wrote:

The table of loaded modules is filled by luaL_register(). This
mechanism does *not* depend on the package library being loaded.
If you load the package library it just adds a publicly visible
reference to this table as package.loaded.

Morale: if in doubt, read the source. :-)

I've been doing that for a while now - especially in the table
allocating code.

I even had to break out Knuth's "Art of Computer Programming"
Volume 3 to get the lowdown on Brent's variation of scatter chained
hashing.

So forgive me if my brain is having difficulty telling the difference
between trees and forests :-)

Ralph