Sometime on 3/27/2009, Ralph Hempel  wrote:
What is the current state of the art for running Lua as a service
under Windows2000 and better?

I've looked at LuaService (no update since 2007) and
LuaSys which seems to be more recent but has little documentation.

I've been meaning to revisit LuaService and make sure I've folded
back into it the things I've learned since its release about
getting the C runtime library correct when building with MinGW.

I believe in its current state, I expect that any C modules used
in the service were compiled with the same version of C used to
build LuaService itself. In effect, this means that you should
also build a copy of lua5.1.dll with that same C compiler.  As
distributed, it was built with MinGW GCC, and is linked to
MSVCRT.DLL. This is at odds with the LuaBinaries releases of Lua
and with Lua for Windows, both of which are linked against
MSVCR80.DLL.

Building any modules used in a service yourself probably isn't a
bad recommendation in either case, but it should still be brought
up to date. I would have noticed by now, but the project that I
was working on that would have needed it went dormant and I've
been paying attention to other things....

With that caveat, LuaService seems stable. If you find an issue,
please do let me know through its bug tracker at LuaForge, or on
this list.

Ross Berteig                               Ross@CheshireEng.com
Cheshire Engineering Corp.           http://www.CheshireEng.com/