John Dunn wrote:
> Given the complexity of the code and the unknowns, I don't think
> the above solution makes sense. Can anyone suggest another
> approach that would work with our framework?

Well, it sure looks more like a big mess of intertwined ad-hoc
solutions. This is not getting better, even if you throw more
features into the pot. Not a sound design (pun intended).

If you have the option to do a major redesign, have a look at
flow-based or data-flow programming models:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow-based_programming
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dataflow_programming

The description is focused a bit on hardware architecture and on
special programming languages. But I think Lua is flexible enough
to accomodate both models.

--Mike